The Crake Foundation, established by the late J.E.A. Crake, Josiah Wood Professor of Classics and Head of the Classics Department at Mount Allison from 1946 to 1976 offers an award in memory of William B. Sawdon, journalist, publisher and long-time member of the Board of Directors of the Crake Foundation, to a student who has made an outstanding contribution to The Argosy, Mount Allison’s student newspaper.
Terms and conditions
- The Award will be administered by the Graduating Students Awards Committee.
- The Award is given to a student who, in the opinion of the Committee, has made an outstanding contribution to the work of The Argosy, including production, editorial work, or other forms of activity.
- The student must be in good standing and enrolled full time in the year during which the contribution to the work of The Argosy is considered.
- The student must have a Cumulative GPA of at least 2.5.
- The Committee will advertise and administer the award process, notify the winner and the Development Office, and supply them with a copy of the biographical information available
- The Award will be announced at the Last Lecture.
- The Development Office will ensure that a press release announcing the winner of the Award is placed in The Argosy, and also sent to the University Communications office.
- The Development Office will ensure that the name of the winner is included in the Convocation program, and that the funding for award is deposited in the appropriate account.
- The Development Office will, by May 20, provide the Foundation with the following information from the Chair of the Graduating Student Awards Committee and the Controller:
- The name of the student chosen for the Award.
- A brief justification for the choice.
- A copy of the press release concerning the Award.
- A statement from the Controller verifying that the funds in this account were spent in accordance with the terms and conditions stated, and the status of the account as of May 1.
- The Foundation will inform the University by June 30 of the level of support to be provided for this award for the academic year beginning July 1.
Value of the Crake Foundation William B. Sawdon Award: $1,000.