The Crake Foundation, established by the late J.E.A. Crake, Josiah Wood Professor of Classics and Head of the Classics Department at Mount Allison from 1946 to 1976 offers an award in memory of William B. Sawdon, journalist, publisher and long-time member of the Board of Directors of the Crake Foundation, to a student who has made an outstanding contribution to The Argosy, Mount Allison’s student newspaper.
Terms and conditions
- The Award will be administered by a Committee consisting of at least three members of Faculty, one of whom will act as Chair, and the Vice President International or the Director of Student Life. The Committee will select its own Secretary and maintain records of its meetings.
- The Award is given to a student who, in the opinion of the Awards Committee, has made an outstanding contribution to the work of The Argosy, including production, editorial work, or other forms of activity.
- The student must be in good standing and enrolled full time in the year during which the contribution to the work of The Argosy is considered.
- The student must have a Cumulative GPA of at least 2.5.
- The Award will be made and announced before March 15.
- The Dean will contact the Chair of the Committee in early September to confirm the Chair’s intentions to continue for the academic year.
- The Chair of the Award Committee will deliver the name, address and a letter to the Award winner to the Financial Aid and Awards Counsellor, who will send this letter, along with the cheque and a copy of the biographical information available at jeacrakefoundation.org/jea-crake-bio.
- The Chair of the Committee will ensure that a press release announcing the winner of the Award is placed in The Argosy, and also sent to the University Communications office.
- The Chair of the Committee will remind the Financial Aid and Awards Counsellor to include the name of the Award holder in the Convocation program.
- The Vice-President (Academic) will, by May 20, provide the Foundation with the following information from the Chair of the Awards Committee and the Controller:
- The name of the student chosen for the Award.
- A brief justification for the choice.
- A copy of the press release concerning the Award.
- The name of the Chair and members of the Award Committee for the coming academic year.
- A statement from the Controller verifying that the funds in this account were spent in accordance with the terms and conditions stated, and the status of the account as of May 1.
- The Foundation will inform the University by June 30 of the level of support to be provided for this award for the academic year beginning July 1.
Value of the Crake Foundation William B. Sawdon Award: $1,000.