The Crake Foundation, established by the late J.E.A. Crake, Josiah Wood Professor of Classics and Head of the Classics Department at Mount Allison from 1946 to 1976, offers an award which will be made to a student who, in the opinion of the members of the Music department, has made an outstanding contribution to the cultural life of the Mount Allison community through performance.
Terms and conditions
- The Award is administered by the Head of the Music Department who will call for applications and convene an Adjudication Committee of members of the Music Department.
- All graduating students are eligible to apply for the Award which is made at Convocation.
- Applicants will be assessed on the quality and variety of performances during their time at Mount Allison. Consideration will also be given to the number of performances, to academic achievement and to efforts made by the musician to practice his/her craft in the wider community.
- The Head of the Music Department will:
- inform the Financial Aid and Awards Counsellor of the name of the Award holder.
- provide the Financial Aid and Awards Counsellor with a letter to the Award recipient to accompany the cheque.
- The Financial Aid and Awards Counsellor will arrange for a cheque to be issued and will ensure that the name of the recipient is listed in the Convocation program. The letter from the Department Head to the recipient and cheque will be accompanied by a copy of the biographical information available at jeacrakefoundation.org/jea-crake-bio.
- The Provost will by May 20, provide the Foundation with the following information from the Head of the Music Department and the Controller:
- The name of the Award recipient and a brief justification for the choice.
- A statement from the controller verifying that the funds in this account were spent in accordance with the terms and conditions stated, and the status of the account as of May 1.
- A copy of the letter from the Department Head to the Award recipient.
- The Foundation will inform the University by June 30 of the level of funding that will be provided for the J.E.A. Crake Performance Award in Music for the academic year beginning July 1.
The value of the J.E.A. Crake Performance Award in Music: $1000.