The J.E.A. Crake Foundation, established by the late Dr. J. Ernest A. Crake, Josiah Wood Professor of Classics at Mount Allison University, 1946–1976, continues and builds upon the charitable work done by Dr. Crake during his lifetime.
Areas of interest for both one-time and on-going grants are: education in the humanities in the Sackville area, and the Anglican Church, particularly the Parish of Sackville.
Please note that education, particularly in the Humanities, is the Foundation’s primary focus when considering grants to community organizations. Education is defined by the Charities Directorate in this way:
“To advance education in the charitable sense means formal training of the mind, advancing the knowledge or abilities of the recipient, raising the artistic taste of the community, or improving a useful branch of human knowledge through research.”
Organizations must have a CRA designation as a charity.
- For further information, please see: Application Information.
Past one-time grants to local community groups include:
- Summer internships for Mount Allison students at Live Bait Theatre.
- Computer equipment for Struts Gallery
- Band instruments for Tantramar Regional High School and the Port Elgin Regional School
- Educational equipment and programs for the Drew Nursing home
- Support for the Marshview School Choir for travel to Ottawa
- Purchase of equipment for the Wetlands project at TRHS
- Summer Educational Development Interns at the Tantramar Heritage Trust.
- Computer equipment for the Tantramar Seniors College
- Debut Atlantic, Composer in Residence
- Early Music Festival
- N.B. Youth Orchestra
- Sackville Public Library, construction grant
- Educational programs at the Tantramar Regional Health Centre
The Foundation maintains a number of ongoing grants to local Community charities of the type which Dr. Crake supported during his lifetime, continuing Dr. Crake’s personal philanthropy as well as supporting newer programs. Examples include the Salvation Army, VON, PEDVAC, Sackville Community Association.
New on-going grants in the Community category must have an educational focus.
- Please see: Application Information.